So today I introduce to you the most easiest and funnest do it yourself project ever, kool-aid lip balm. Two ingredients. Vaseline or petroleum jelly and a packet of kool-aid. That simple. Man do I love Pinterest.
The only thing that's hard about this was the clean up. I should have gone with my instincts and used disposable items, instead it took me a bit to clean up my measuring glass and spoon since I didn't want to put them in the dish washer. Anywho, let's get to the directions. I hope you all enjoy.
DIY: Kool-aid & Vaseline Lip Balm
Source: Adapted from Meet The Dubiens
Ingredients1 Cup of Vaseline (petroleum jelly)
1 pkg of kool-aid drink crystals
1-2 packets of sweetner (Optional)
Lip gloss containers
1. Add 1 cup of vaseline in a microwave safe bowl
2. Heat the vaseline in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each heating. It took me about 3-4 minutes to melt my vaseline. Note that It will be liquid when it is fully melted and very hot! Make sure you wear gloves or oven mitts and make sure children are being supervised.
3. Once melted take out of microwave and stir in kool-aid drink crystals until desired colour is reached. ( I used the whole package and because kool-aid by itself is sour, I also poured in a packet of sweetner so that the lip balm wouldn't be so bitter, this is optional.) Stir until the crystals are completely dissolved.
4. If you see that your vaseline is starting to solidify you can heat again for another 30 seconds - skip this step if it is still liquidy
5. Pour into your lip gloss containers and leave to solidify - a couple hours
6. Repeat this whole process if making more flavours
7. Give to all your favourite people, but remember to save a few for yourself too!
NOTE: After melting my vaseline and before adding the kool-aid I waited a couple of minutes to let the vaseline cool down so that it wouldn't cook the crystals. Also, this recipe calls for A LOT of stirring until the crystals are fully melted otherwise your lip balm will be gritty.
Containers: I have a couple comments asking about containers, I got mine at the Dollar Store, they came in a pack of three and are a little bit bigger then the normal lip balm containers. You can also try looking at Michaels and your local craft store. I just ordered some on amazon, but found more HERE that are way cheaper!